Bacon, Basil and Spinach Cob Loaf Dip
Ideal for a warm snack for watching the Footy
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 red onions, thinly sliced
175g short cut bacon, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
175g baby spinach
22cm cob loaf
250g block cream cheese, softened
400ml tub sour cream
½ cup shredded fresh basil leaves
1 cup grated mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until onion is golden brown and softened. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Add bacon to pan. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until browned. Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add spinach leaves. Cook, tossing for 2 minutes or until wilted. Add to onion mixture. Set aside to cool.
- Cut 4cm top off loaf to form lid. Scoop bread from centre of loaf, leaving 1.5cm edge. Roughly chop bread.
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream, basil and mozzarella in a bowl. Add to onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Spoon mixture into loaf. Top with lid. Place on prepared tray. Place chopped bread, in a single layer, around loaf.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve.