Date and Orange Scones.
1 orange, rind finely chopped and juiced
1 cup of pitted dates, roughly chopped
500g of self raising flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
100g of butter, chopped
300ml of buttermilk, or milk with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Heat orange juice in a small saucepan until hot. Add dates and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- In a food processor, blitz flour, butter and baking powder until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Tip the flour mixture into a large mixing bowl and add the orange rind and dates
- Add milk and mix until just combined. It is important not to over mix as this will result in tough scones
- Turn out onto bench and pat down to about 2cm thick.
- Cut out scones and place onto a prepared baking tray. Nestle them close together so they can rise evenly, against one another.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve with butter and golden syrup or jam.
This is a really yummy scone recipe and the addition of the dates make the scones really moist. I shared these with my girlfriends from mums group and they all loved them, as did the 3yr olds! I found this recipe on Taste.com, which is one of my favorite sites to look for new inspiration in the kitchen.